Wednesday 24 July 2013

First year in a nutshell

First of all, hello! this is the first of ( I hope) many posts, and what better way to start a fashion(ish) blog than to talk about my experiences as a first year fashion student? I'll start by saying that I was not at all prepared for what was to come, having just finished my A levels, it was hard to adjust to the fast paced course, but I survived! And I survived pretty well, actually, I ended up with a first in my first year, but if you think that relaxes me for my second year, think again.

As a self confessed control freak and proffesional stress head ( I can't go anywhere without my filofax, my friend call it tony...) I am still absolutely terrified of what I have coming, but enough of that, Im scaring myself just thinking about it...

So, first year kicked off with a project called Design Methods, and my first ever session included my tutor telling me that I hadn't done what was expected of me over summer, (fantastic) but im glad she did because she scared me so much that day I made sure it would never happen again! We had to base our projects around repetition and use repetitive patterns to come up with a new design which we would later make in another project. I based mine on a pineapple, dont ask me why, we then had to shoot our garments as part of a team (not my forte) in the style of a magazine of our choice, we chose dazed and confused and mine ended up looking like this...

Copyright Saskia Cole 2013
 
My team worked with Saskia cole, a photographer based in peterborough. You can find out more about her through her facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/saskiacolephotography
 
Another big project of the year was an illustration task, where we had to choose a current designers collection and basically experiment with differnt illustration techniques, this project was my absolute FAVOURITE as I love stuff like this, I chose Holly Fulton's RTW SS13 collection, as I fell immediately in love with her use of print and colour, and the stories behind her collections. Holly Fulton is definitely up there with my favourite designers. Here are some of my illustrations, don'y judge me too much, I'm just a first year...
Holly Fulton SS13 RTW
 
 
Excuse the poor image quality!

So those were my two favourite projects of my first year, but so much happened outside of Uni work too, if you're toying with the idea of going to uni and do'nt know if you should, go! not going to uni would have been the biggest mistake of mylife, and this is coming from a girl who smashed an oven trying to be the fresh prince of bellaire on a skateboard, seriously.

I learnt alot about myself during my first year, not to mention I got to meet Christopher Bailey! (nicest man in the world) I deffinitely came out of my shell, and i didn't even know I needed to.

Bring on second year!

No comments:

Post a Comment